View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-24, 07:57

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Definitely, it's a sign of poor control as the body compensates for an artificial diet. But I do remember reading about how celebrity/high society doctors would assent to all kinds of prescription tricks. She could have been using it to bring high blood sugar down because she'd over-indulged?

Using insulin under those circumstances would still force excess blood sugars into the cells, which would ultimately cause weight gain.

If by some chance she was a T1 diabetic, that could lead to all kinds of complications in even determining the proper insulin dosage, if she wasn't strictly controlling her diet, or not calculating the proper insulin dosage based on blood sugar readings and how much she'd eaten. (or even faulty testing equipment - it's entirely possible for testing strips and/or meters to go bad)

Teen girls who are T1 diabetic are all too often quite aware that if they want to lose weight, the way to do it is to skip/skimp on insulin dosing. They sometimes also indulge in foods they would not normally be allowed to eat - but that results in high blood sugars (which can become dangerously high in short order), and can only be brought down by injected insulin since the T1 has no other way to utilize their blood sugar.

In a T2 diabetic, there's insulin resistance - they already have a lot of insulin coursing through their bodies, but their cells have become resistant to the insulin forcing glucose into the cells. So blood sugar remains high until there's enough additional insulin injected to force the excess blood sugar into the cells. (Unless you go low enough on carbs to keep blood sugar under control.)

Quote:
But when I tried to search engine an explanation I got 30 pages of OZEMPIC and all the others.

Can we not research things now?

I saw something the other day that helps with this problem:

On the Google search page, over to the right past where it has the tabs for All, images, news, etc - over to the right of all that there's a tab off by itself for "tools''. Click on that, and where it says all results, click on that and choose verbatim. You can also choose a timeline (if you're trying to bring up something you found yesterday or last week). It's not perfect , but it does help weed out some of the junk that was not what you were looking for.

So when I googled your topic of "caffeine for weight loss", it brought up articles about caffeine. There were some ads on the side (ozempic was one of them, but there was also an ad for caffeine pills) - If I'd changed that to "history of caffeine for weight loss" or added the approximate years when you recall caffeine pills being sold for weight loss, that might have come up with the information you were looking for.