#14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-24, 21:47

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Lately, my favorite Greek yogurt is a brand called Cabot, 10% fat because they add cream and no artificial gums and thickeners.

But you are right about the yogurt variety going all Keto and macros. I love mixing yogurt with my whey protein for a highly satisfying "shake" which is a quick meal to make.

I went to Walmart today, and while I was there I checked out their selection of plain yogurts.

The Cabot 10% does have 10% fat, but I don't think it's just from adding cream. This is their list of ingredients:
Quote:
Pasteurized milk; cream; milk protein concentrate; whey protein concentrate; live active yogurt cultures (Acidophilus; Bifidus; L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus), Vitamin A palmitate, Vitamin D3.

I suspect that the milk protein concentrate and whey protein concentrate are a big factor in coming up with a total of 10% fat content.

Total Fat 16g
Carbohydrates 9g
Protein 14g

Compared to Chobani whole milk greek:
Quote:
ingredients: cultured milk., 6 live and active cultures: s. thermophilus, l. bulgaricus, l. acidophilus, bifidus, l. casei, and l. rhamnosus.

Total Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Protein 15g

The information on the (significantly less expensive) Friendly Farms Whole Milk Greek that I usually buy:
Quote:
Ingredients: CULTURED PASTEURIZED GRADE A MILK, LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES (STREPTOCOCCUS THERMOPHILUS, LACTOBACILLUS BULGARICUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDOBACTERIUM, L. PARACASEI).

Total fat 9g
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Protein 15 g

So it's the same as Chobani - although Chobani has a somewhat different list of yogurt cultures, which is also different from the list of Cabot's yogurt cultures.

Cabot has more fat, but also slightly more carbs, and slightly less protein than the Chobani/Friendly Farms.

I can always add a little cream to the Friendly Farms, while still keeping the protein slightly higher and carbs slightly lower.