#11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-24, 21:18

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Likely. I also have hyper-insulinism, what both DH and I call the Stone Age Pancreas. "You must have fallen in a beehive. And will eat the whole thing. Release the tanker car of insulin!"

This is why CICO did not work for me. Might have if I were able to whiteknuckle through yet another day and night of screaming hunger. But left to roam free, I used most of my 1200 a day on carbs. So I could suffer for weeks, even months, without losing anything and without my appetite calming down.

Every since going into ketosis AND losing my excess weight, fat is my fuel. So when I crave it, I make cream cheese omelettes and mug cheesecake with no sweetener except fruit. I put bacon in my wraps and chuck roast on the stove once a week. In my area, that's the cheapest beef there is.

I don't worry about how much I eat of such foods because, unlike my carb intake, fat and protein DO regulate themselves.

OMG, that's hilarious! But it's exactly what it feels like happens.

And it really doesn't take that many carbs to cause that reaction.

One time though I did manage to lose a little bit of weight on carbs alone. (during one of my rebellious "I'm sick of not being able to eat like a normal person" phases) A friend had taught me how to make soft pretzels (very similar to Auntie Anne's). Being a carb addict, I loved-loved-loved them.

The only problem was that even though they were wonderfully soft and chewy (and yeasty and buttery) the day I made them, the next day they'd be getting tough and dry, so they weren't nearly as good.

So what I ended up doing was making a batch every day - a batch of about a dozen (or 18? I can't recall - the ones I made weren't nearly as big as the Auntie Anne's - I would fit them all on 2 trays in the oven), and I'd eat them all day long. That was pretty much the only thing I ate though, nothing but those soft pretzels. I'm sure my blood sugar was on a constant roller coaster, but I had enough pretzels to eat one about every 3/4 hour or so all day long, so my blood sugar didn't get a chance to drop quite as low as it would have if I'd eaten 3 or 4 of them at once, then waited 5 hours to eat any more of them.

Anyhow, over a period of about 3 months, I think I lost a whopping 5 lbs! Probably because the total number of calories/day was so low that it wasn't nearly enough to support a morbidly obese body.