#3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-24, 19:37

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I've gotten more sensitive to contamination danger. Got a meat thermometer. Eat a whole chicken within four days.

I buy my greens from small producers, especially local farms. The shorter the chain, the less chance of something happening. And discovered that they keep much better than the mass-produced bags.

From the article, undercooking is at least as real a danger. And what, it doesn't brown up? What slice of monster are they offering here?

LOL! I'm picturing Frankenstein's monster, only in slices!

But seriously - this is an article about German made vegan "meat", so maybe theirs don't get brown.

I saw a video a few days ago of someone grilling burgers - they prepared all three the same way, and were comparing before/after, and flavor/texture of real hamburgers to the two vegan fake meat burgers that are available in the US.

All three browned up on the outside - and one brand (I don't recall which one) browned all the way through. The other one did not though. And that's kind of disturbing that one of the fake meats didn't brown.

When I was reading that article, I was thinking about how many food recalls we have in this country due to contamination.

Supposedly, ground meat is the most recalled food but what I read did not specify if that was in terms of total weight recalled, or total individual packages for sale recalled, or total number of recalls.

I mostly hear about lettuce recalls, and ready to eat salad or bagged salad recalls, which often end up expanded to all of a certain type of lettuce, usually Romaine.

It makes sense that both ground meat and lettuce have so many recalls - they both involve the original food being chopped up and mixed together with tons of other chopped up pieces of the original food, before finally being packaged and sent to stores. If even one piece of meat along that chopping and mixing procedure is contaminated, it can contaminate all of it.

Surely one thing that the vegan "meats" were hoping to avoid was the potential for the kind of contamination recalls we have with ground meat, but it appears that the vegan products are just as prone to contamination as real meat.

Yet another reason to avoid vegan meats, especially if they don't change color to give you a hint that they're cooked all the way through and are safe to eat.