#14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-24, 20:07

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
My father was a doctor so I suppose the way we ate was doctor approved. We didn’t have much sugar, no soda, no candy, some baked goods and ice cream, fruit was fresh. On the whole it was a pretty healthy way of eating. At least it was not filled with junk.

We had junk - my dad had a sweet tooth, and mom did too. We almost always had a cake she'd baked from a mix, and used canned frosting for it - but she didn't like "grease" at all (and shortening/oil is one of the primary ingredients of frosting), so she'd stretch one can of frosting to 2 cakes - the cakes were made in a 9x13 pan so only one thin layer of frosting was necessary. Dad also loved ice cream, and he loved cookies, so we always had a cookie jar that was kept stocked. They both liked hard candy too. I couldn't have cared less about the hard candy, but sure liked the cake and cookies. Ice cream was just ok as far as I was concerned, since they didn't usually get the flavors I liked best.

We didn't have soda though - at least not until I was in my late teens, which is probably why I never really developed a serious craving for sodas. We usually had chips though - plain potato chips and sometimes Fritos.

I did develop a bad "Tang" habit in my teens though - Were they even putting full ingredient lists on manufactured "foods" back in the 60's? Because for some reason mom must have thought Tang was better for you than orange juice, and I loved the sweet/sour artificial orange flavor that I could get away with making as strong (meaning: sweet) as I wanted it.

So there were junky treats available all the time at home for in between meals, but the only time we had an official dessert was after the evening meal... because apparently meals had to be what mom thought was healthy, but it was perfectly ok to have desserts and snacks that were absolute junk.