#15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-24, 06:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I tend to put more weight into the peer-reviewed papers on NIH's PubMed site. Not to say they are absolute truth, but at least reviewed by other people in the same field before accepted and published.

Agreed. I like to read articles about the studies, and then go to the study itself, and see if I agree with writer. Or can find someone who can explain why they don't agree with the first writer.

The recent book, Toxic Superfoods, explained (with studies) that eating antioxidants being beneficial is still only a theory, and not even scientifically supported yet.

Which is where a lot of heavily marketed claims of science come from. It was right there in the mega study I hunted down with some keywords, which can be a nice shortcut getting started, especially a recent one.

It's a selling point that they didn't make up... but doesn't have much support. It was such a big deal I thought there was science there.

And I should have known better!

Which is where the book about whatever the "breakthrough" is tells much more. And if there isn't a book, just a program and a course and products, they can't fill a book with more than fluff and any studies we can look up turn out to say the opposite of what they claim.

Which is why I got the recent Gary Taubes book on diabetes. I know it will be full of stuff I will want to reference, that will give me angles of view I didn't have before.