#15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-24, 09:19

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Actually, I think if there is a weight-loss drug that really worked, and had minor side effects, it would help the fast-food industry.

I can hear it now, "I can eat all the junk I want, pop a pill, and stay slim and trim."

Long term health doesn't seem to be a priority to most folks. Instead, the top five are
(1) taste
(2) taste
(3) taste
(4) taste
(5) does it taste good and not get me fat

IMO we should be doing the opposite
(1) health
(2) taste

Without good health, nothing else matters. You could win powerball and if you have cancer, powerball won't save you.

Bob

I certainly agree that no amount of money will save you from bad health.

But in reality, fast food doesn't even taste that good. All it really has is the addictive trifecta of fat, salt, and carbs.

A decade or two ago, I was so tired of trying to figure out what to cook for dinner every night that I signed up for a weekly recipe/menu email service.

It provided a detailed grocery list, 6 main dish recipes (the assumption was that you'd probably eat out once a week, or have a family favorite on the 7th day), simple instructions (most main dishes took 30-45 minutes or less to prepare), and suggested side dishes.

I signed up for the LC version, due to the fact that the woman who created the menu wanted to make sure there were no obscure and difficult to obtain specialty ingredients in the recipes (she wanted to keep her customers instead of frustrating them). So they did actually include small bits of starches (usually a Tbsp or two of flour, or a tsp or two of cornstarch, or 1/4 cup of bread crumbs to make the full 4 servings). The recipes still came in at 10 net carbs or less per serving. (Being familiar with LC for quite some time prior to using that menu service, I was able to switch to some LC alternatives for the few occasional starchy ingredients in the recipes)

While the recipes weren't all winners, it was amazing what a few real and simple (for the most part) ingredients could produce. I was often cooking meals that would have been worthy of a very nice sit down restaurant - Far better tasting dinners than we could have gotten from any fast food place, and less expensive dinner for 4. Even when the recipe called for a fairly expensive cut of meat it was still less expensive than going to a fast food place. I often switched to a less expensive cut of meat too, and they still turned out really good.