Old Wed, Nov-29-23, 11:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
To this day, the US and UK fortify their flour products for public health, while Canada does not. And as a result, their vegans are more likely to show up with B vitamin deficiencies. I was just watching a video from a Canadian doctor about a young man who went blind -- and refused to stop being vegan!

Dr. Abram Hoffer did most of his research in the 1940s-50s. Canada hadn't yet jumped on the "enrichment bandwagon" like the US and UK because Cdn health scientists considered the addition of synthetic vitamins to foods as"adulteration" ... not fortification. Instead, they tried (in vain) to develop ways to preserve the natural vitamins in grains through the milling process.

However, Canada began fortifying white flour and bread products in the 1950s, although it wasn't until the 90s that Health Canada actually mandated specific "what and how much" regulations across the entire country I certainly remember being taught in school in the late 60s that white flour and white bread were "enriched" with B vitamins and iron, milk was fortified with vitamin D and table salt had iodine added. The 1998 regulations also covered fortification of breakfast cereals, rice and cornmeal products. (An analysis of the development of Canadian food fortification policies: the case of vitamin B)

That being said, as a lowcarber I appreciate that pork is an excellent source of natural thiamine, niacin and other B-vitamins .. and iron