View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-23, 04:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jeannette. I would almost guarantee that your weight gain is lean tissue restoration that was lost on a vegan diet. I'd think in order to avoid muscle and bone loss eating vegan, you'd have to be extremely diligent with weight training and protein supplementation. Plant proteins aren't absorbed as well as animal proteins, and I'm suspicious of vitamin/mineral absorption from plants, as well, especially grains, seeds and nuts.

Many of us over the years experienced a similar phenomenon when starting out, even without a vegan diet - most LF diets are deficient in protein. A lot of us, self included, are smaller at a higher weight. I've been skinny-fat but way leaner at a higher weight. Remember that you're not trying to lose weight per se, you're trying to lose fat.

I'd highly recommend doing some body measurements if you haven't already. I bought FitDay PC back in 2004 (!) and I have body measurements going all the way back to that time. Alternatively, the old pant-o-meter works, too. Find some clothes that don't stretch at all and see how they fit over time.

Best of luck - consider resuming your journal again.