View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-23, 03:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

All your changes are fascinating! Good detective work..I have not heard of this before either.

Why were you prescribed synthroid so young and for so long? I asked about thyroid meds to help with weight loss over the years, but my doctors never bought into the alternative blood work and now I’m glad I didn’t. My TSH was always better than "normal" range so no reason to dig further.

While looking at previous posts in the thyroid sub-forum I found a 2013 thread on Food and Nutrition where we both posted. Another decade gone by

Why didn’t I stick with this???? https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=449460
Somewhere I fell off eating more nutrient dense carbs, and needed to find my way back to that simple healthy solution. The "keto craze" did not allow enough nutrient dense carbs to keep my thyroid working properly, and I had to discover those again!

And…

Quote:
8.9 Is My Thyroid Stopping Me from Losing Weight?

Many people who have excess stored fat and metabolic syndrome have some level of thyroid dysfunction. Diabetes and autoimmune issues like poor thyroid function often come as a package. However, like insulin, poor thyroid function can be the result of obesity rather than the cause. Your thyroid is a central governor of your metabolism. Like insulin, your pituitary gland will ramp up the production of thyroid-stimulating hormone to rev your metabolic rate if you have more energy to burn off. If you are taking medication for your thyroid, you should continue to have your thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) monitored by your healthcare team and adjust your medications as required.

As you lose weight and reduce your blood glucose, your body won’t need as much thyroid-stimulating hormone to keep your metabolism elevated. Thus, your TSH levels may decrease. Many people have had to decrease their medication to accommodate their normalising TSH levels as they progress with Data-Driven Fasting. It’s also worth noting that consuming adequate micronutrients like selenium, iodine, niacin, histidine, and tyrosine is critical to healthy thyroid function. Hence, prioritising nutrient-dense meals from whole foods is also a crucial part of the equation.

If you find your blood sugars are low and stable, and your weight loss has stalled later in your Data-Driven Fasting journey, an occasional bolus of carbs can boost thyroid function and metabolic rate to restart weight loss when your blood sugars start to bottom out. For more details, see Metabolic flexibility: How to Give Your Body What it Needs When It Needs It.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/tro...m-losing-weight

The Keto Diet…whatever your internet definition of it is, leaves many with nutrient deficiencies, eating low satiety, high fat foods.

If anyone wonders about the nutrient deficiencies in their diet, Marty Kendall offers a Free analysis. You need the free Cronometer app, and have to be consistent with logging food for 7 days, but better and cheaper than blood work, etc.
https://app.nutrientoptimiser.com/optin1587482063307