#53   ^
Old Mon, May-08-23, 12:50

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/147.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Ah, the magic of tracking your food for one week! Measuring salad dressing ( is that really 1 Measuring Tablespoon of fat? ) and reading the label… 100 calories in that tiny amount?

I was admin for a LC group that did limit the fats but members often stopped losing when they stopped measuring and started eye-balling the 2T heavy cream in coffee, or the 2T Mayo limit in egg salad became 1/3 of a cup. We didn't count calories, but calories count.

There is nothing wrong with bacon and cheese, but more than modest amounts of fat would stop weight loss.
On a Satiety per Calorie basis https://www.dietdoctor.com/satiety/science fat scores very low, Mayo and butter are only a 6 Satiety Score .
Fruits are more Satiating than fats, many of the berries over 50 because of the high fiber and nutrients. Even melon and bananas aren’t bad, but I usually eat them with a bowl of non-fat yogurt to add protein and blunt the sweetness. Adding back fruit and dairy really improved the "nutrient density" of my meals, and I now have bone density scans that show it.

CMCM, Very low carb works great for some, you are lucky. It stopped working for me, and Kp tried strict low carb since January, and it wasn’t working for him. Some tweaks to increase healthy carbohydrates with more fiber and nutrients, while also lowering fat seems to help. Many of us have found success using Dr Ted Naiman's The P:E Diet version of low carb, and Optimising Nutrition. More about that in the SemiLowCarb forum and my journal if interested.

Jey....I think very low carb works for a time for me, but I do have to moderate upwards at various points. When I'm not actively trying to lose weight, I make a lot of the Diet Doctor recipes and for the most part, I can maintain fairly well on those although I think I eventually end up with weight creep at some point. I have a lot of trouble with diets that try to incorporate reasonable grains or too many carbs, for example. Due to celiac disease, I of course can't eat wheat/rye/barley. Corn upsets me horribly. In the end, I mostly avoid every single grain out there. I love veggies, though, and certain fruits. I seem to be sensitive to a lot of things (wish it weren't so...), and in the end, I just eat a very careful diet. I do feel best on fairly low carb, though.