View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-22, 13:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The fat adaption phase is usually 4-6 weeks, after that you do not need to eat extra fat. I found to actually lose weight, I needed to closely monitor the LC foods list too. Bacon is a fat, not a protein. Even eggs with yolks are more a maintenance food, why I now eat 2 whole eggs for nutrition, plus egg whites and chicken to get enough protein without the fat I would rather have come from my body. Have to work up to higher protein slowly, making substitutions, not buying beef sirloin or ribeyes, but go for leaner beef, 90% lean or above as ground beef. Steak is 54% fat, and 4 oz only has 30g of protein. Pork rinds are ridiculously high in calories and low in satiety…similar to potato chips. No sour cream, cream cheese, cheese or nuts needed as I get enough good fats from meat, fish and eggs. I have added low fat dairy and tons of vegetables to also get the satiety from the nutrients in dairy I was deficient in and real food fiber.

I also use about a 6-8 hour eating window, but to control appetite, that first meal is at least 50 g of protein. It is worth looking foods up on a tracker like Cronometer and then using the P:E ratio, aiming for above 1. https://proteinpercent.com In percentages for weight loss, that is 40% protein with 30% - 40% fat and carbs. 30-40% fat is more than enough to support hormone function and fat soluble vitamins. Olive oil may have polyphenols but the only nutrients it has is a small amount of Vit E & K, Omega 3 & 6. Canned Salmon has a full range of B vitamins, D, E and a long a list of satiating minerals, Good source of selenium and many more nutrients, including those in the list that contribute to satiety. These nutrients also contributed to stronger nails, thicker hair, less bruising, and of course satiety and less hunger

Quote:
Some of the most satiating nutrients that provide the greatest long-term satiety effect are protein, calcium, potassium, sodium, fibre, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and selenium. Thus, if we aren’t consuming enough of these nutrients, we’re more likely to keep eating as our appetites send us in search of what we need.

One reason people may not be satiated after their first meal is that they didn’t optimize protein, fiber and nutrients. A typical LC bacon & egg breakfast is about 18 g of protein and fat. You might try eating 50g of protein for your first meal…a stretch goal for sure, but I realized the LC foods I had been eating were too low in protein, too high in fat, too low in nutrients like calcium, selenium, etc. My sample first meal in first paragraph is around 60 g. protein, 15 g fat, for only about 500 calories.

Adding back vegetables and fruits was very helpful for me too, if my first meal is not with eggs, it is often a big vegetable stir-fry with chicken or shrimp. I use low or no fat dairy mixed with fruit and protein powder, like Ted Naiman's ice cream. If you save that for an after dinner dessert, that tops up protein so do not get hungry at night/next morning.

My new journal has more of the details how I reached goal weigh and have now easily maintained it more than a year, including Ted Naiman's one page diet graphic:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=485372

Edit: Berries are the best of the lot when it comes to Satiety. If it is Green it is go I’ve heard Dr Naiman say that Raspberries have a high Satiety per calorie. I use a Three Berry frozen mix almost everyday for my sweet treat.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/food-nav.../fruits-berries

I have a large crockpot "Steak and Black Bean Chili" recipe I used often in my pre-LC days…I am so happy to have it back! With only two of us now, I can freeze about six dinners.