#30   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-21, 13:19

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Now that I've finished the book, I can say there are some things I don't agree with, based on my other reading. Janet, I fully agree with you and others on the fact that some people can't do high-fat keto because the body will most likely burn the fat you eat (an easy process) rather than burn your body fat (a more complex process). I also find that I simply can't eat that much fat. When fat gets up to around 70% I start having trouble getting it all in without drinking melted butter.

I also question his ideas about gluconeogenesis (GNG) and eating "too much" protein (whatever that is). I'm no scientist, but what I've read recently is that GNG is NOT supply driven, but rather "need" driven. Just because there's a surplus of protein coming in doesn't mean it will automatically be metabolized as glucose. Your body will only convert the protein to glucose if there is a need -- that is, there is less than the 2 teaspoons of glucose required by bodily processes circulating in your bloodstream. (I think it's 2 teaspoons, so if I'm wrong on that please correct me.)

Yesterday I tested my blood sugar when I woke up. It was 94. About an hour later I had about 5 oz of chicken breast with a Tablespoon of butter. An hour after that I tested again and it was 91. I took this to mean that the protein did not raise my blood sugar. Did I do that correctly? Was the timing right to get accurate results?

Sounds correct to me. When a low carber eats a meal of protein without carbohydrate both insulin (required to process protein) and glucagon (to counterbalance insulin's glucose lowering effect by releasing glucose from liver glycogen storage to prevent hypoglycemia) are both simultaneously released from the pancreas. Thus any potential rise in blood sugar after protein without carb meal is from liver glucose release and not gluconeogenesis, which it sounds to me like you have the correct information on (demand and not supply driven).
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...&rid=1055629867
Dr. Mercola posted an interview with Gary Taubes about his new book. I found the discussion of excess linoleic acid interesting. It's something I've been recently delving into and finding is a likely source of dietary harm. A lot more on that subject available from Brad Marshall's TCD diet website as a simplified explanation for lay audiences of Peter of Hyperlipid's protons theory for those more scientifically inclined about the negative effect of excess linoleic acid (think processed omega 6 seed oils so cheaply abundant nowadays in foods) compared to the much maligned but healthier saturated fats. Too much to try to mention here but good stuff there for those interested.