View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-20, 14:42

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

You're all making some very good points. But for me, these probably sum it up best:

Quote:
Truthfully, I think the answer is you can not go back to eating like you were before.

Quote:
do what you always did, get what you always got

Quote:
Why would I ever go back to a way of eating that made me fat and sick?

But this one sums up the diet phase itself, as well as maintenance:

Quote:
There was a study a bit back comparing Atkins to Ornish and a few other diets. This was by the book, people were given one of the earlier Atkins books and one of Ornish's, followed it best they could, and Atkins had a clear advantage. A few years later, same researcher did a goody-two shoes version--best low fat versus 'best' low carb--so instead of being told to spread cream cheese on bacon if they bloody well pleased, people were told to eat steamed salmon steaks with asparagus tips and a little olive oil. The advantage of low carb disappeared in that study. Christopher Gardner was the lead author on both studies. If you want to replace a habitual diet with a new one--helps to go with food the person likes as much or better than what they were eating before.

Many will point out that heavy cream is not ideal diet food, even in low carb. And it's not. But if the alternative to a bit of heavy cream and a handful of raspberries is standard supermarket icecream--if that's what people are going to default to--it makes sense to give some leeway. Your Atkins diet shouldn't seem like a straitjacket, if it does maybe some tweaking is in order. Not do I have to eat low carb all my life? But what do I have to do so low carb is what I'd rather eat all my life?

I really like how your post shows the difference between doing a "healthy" version of LC, and LC that you can actually stick to - steamed salmon, asparagus tips, and a little bit of olive oil? The ONLY difference between that and a calorie counting diet is the lack of added carbs. I'd feel like I was starving within an hour. But give me a nice big juicy bunless burger (made from at least 15% fat ground beef), some cheese melted over it, a good schmear of mayo, plus some mustard, and maybe some sauteed mushrooms or dill pickles on top of that burger, with some veggies on the side, and I'm good for hours.