#239   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 09:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Stories about significant reductions in CAC scores are still relatively hard to come by. I did see the one a few months back on DietDoctor.com. It was impressive. I want to report another one that I recently learned of...

Today on Dave Feldman's Lean Mass Hyper Responder group I saw a post by April Sanchez where she reported a big CAC drop in the past 2 years. Here is what she posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Sanchez - LMHR FB Group 10-13-2020
August 2018 - CAC score 342
October 2020 - CAC score 249
93 point decrease! Thank you Keto WoE, exercise and great heart-healthy supplements!

That's an impressive 27% reduction in her score in 2 years - keto all the way. She was asked about what she did to reduce her score and she replied...
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Sanchez
Koncentrated K; Vitamin D - 5000iu; Vitamin C - 5g; Pure Encapsulation Nutr 950; desiccated liver; Magnesium Glycinate 700mg, zinc, probiotics; ox-bile (no gallbladder). That's generally about it. I was a gym rat until Covid. I generally walk 2.5-3 miles 4-5x/week. And of course eat strict keto since 1/1/2018.

I also am a LMHR and no statins ever!
I've seen many posts by April over the past few years. Her TC is consistently above 400. LDL-C has been in the 240 to 315 range much of the time between those two scans. Her trigs under 100 and HDL above 90. That hits all marks on Dave Feldman's "triad" definition of a lean mass hyper responder.

So again, it is hard to imagine that LDL-C alone is causal for arterial plaque formation. If this is the case how are we LMHRs lowering our CAC scores? As for me I'm still eating LCHF/Keto. My weight is creeping up some, but I'm still very active and eating healthy (no grains and minimal sugars/seed oils). I supplement daily with K2 (MK-7 & MK-4), D3 (5 to 10,000), Iodine, fish oil and drink a few ounces of Dr. Davis's Magnesium water recipe throughout the day. I still walk in the noon day sun for extra D in the spring, summer and fall. I take no statins. No prescription drugs.

It was 28 months from my baseline CAC in January 2017 to my first follow-up. I plan on doing the second follow-up after another 28 months has passed. So September 2021 is what I'm shooting for. I'm hoping (and expecting) continued progress.

Hi Ken, I've seen a (very) few stories like this, as it wasn't too long ago we were hearing that CAC scores could not be reduced. There were a few of us that didn't buy that thinking. April's experience is a good one to share. Her supplements are very similar to mine, and I noticed that she's getting her K spectrum from KoncentratedK, which is what I've been taking. Due to KK's wealth of K2 (MK-7, MK-4), and K, I've started taking one every other day. Not sure if and when I'll get a follow-up CAC, but I've read results of downward trends as well, and the WOE and supplements those folks used are very consistent among those who've reduced their scores. It's just good to know that lifestyle changes with the help of some targeted supplements enable improvement, so that it doesn't appear to be a life sentence. Ahhh, yeah, they used to make those claims about T2D as well. Bet the pharmaceutical companies loved that way of thinking.