View Single Post
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-20, 15:14

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

My local grocery store (HEB) decided against any sort of senior-only hours but they have, apparently, hired a lot more people to service curbside pickup because one can now easily reserve a curbsite timeslot no more than 10 days out. Previously, there was NOTHING available for the entire 2 solid weeks in advance that they allowed reservations... and not just at my nearest HEB. The same thing was true at all the HEBs within 25 miles of my home.

Earlier this week, I finally managed to snag a curbside reservation date at my local HEB that was two full weeks out by staying up until midnight and reserving it as soon as their calendar update to add another date. Then, yesterday I was actually able to get a reservation for 3 days earlier than my previous reservation, so I canceled the later reservation.

I am noticing too that HEB is putting limits on how much one can buy of some of the more popular products. That should put an end to empty shelves being caused by hoarders.

Unfortunately, some of the limits seem to be based on the assumption that everyone eats a SAD diet. So, for example, you can only get 2 dozen eggs. Hubby and I together easily go thru more than a dozen eggs per week. A family of 4 eating LC could easily eat a dozen or more eggs per day. But, being able to get 2 dozen eggs each time one shops is a whole lot better than not being able to find ANY. So I'm okay with reasonable limits until folks settle down.

One thing that I don't like...but that is probably necessary to keep people from just grabbing a reservation time and holding onto it in case they decide to shop...is that 1) you have a limited amount of to fill your cart and check out and 2) after you check out, HEB only allows you to add a maximum of 4 additional items to your cart. With so many of the things I normally buy (canned coconut milk, canned coconut cream, full fat unflavored yougurt, etc) not available, I need to take time to look at labels before I add things to my cart...and that takes time. And, trying to figure out what one is going to need 10 days to 2 weeks in advance is really difficult. I'm sure I'm going to wind up realizing that there are 4 items that I should have added but forgot about.

I don't think we'll starve tho. And I think we'll manage to stay LC although it is going to get more expensive.

While walking the dog yesterday, one of my neighbors drove by and stopped to holler-chat. She had a packet of toilet paper visible in window and said Walmart had it in stock again and was limiting purchases to a single package so that there was plenty for everybody to at least get one packet.

I have high hopes that by the time I go to pick up my April 2 curbside delivery, all of the items I ordered will be in stock.

I'm still bummed that HEB doesn't include their bulk bin items in their online shopping for curbside pickup. I detest buying spices in little overpriced jars. I've already got PLENTY of spice jars! Would much prefer to just be able to buy a small packet of spice and refill the jars. Fresher spices at a lower price...but not available without going into the store. <sigh>

I also don't like paying the premium prices of prepackaged nuts and thing like almond meal and flax meal. I've still got a reasonably good supply of almond and flax meal but I'm almost completely out of nuts. I might spring for bags of the almond and flax meal when I run out but I guess nuts are off the menu for the time being.

On a very positive note tho, by sticking to my LC diet, I've lost 3 lbs since going into self-isolation a little over a week ago! Not sure if its because I'm eating fewer nuts or if the extra exercise from the around-the-house projects that Hubby and I decided to go ahead tackle is having an impact.