View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-20, 17:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Merpig--- store it and only pull out as needed. We store ours in the original box. Something has to be moved to the floor to use it.

Pantry-- mine is full. Only last summer 2019 did I try to can tomato sauce, just cooked down tomatoes from our garden.

Have tried in the past to can meats, like duck and chicken. A woman shared her method [lost when PC died] to can fish scraps, fed to the dogs at a later date as the bones dissentigrate after high pressure canning. Found thus true of poultry bones.

Also canned up a batch of meat and beans. Rather easy to make own "canned" beans from dried beans. [harder for mice to steal and ready to eat, like a REM. lol]

My storage freezers are chest type. THe cold air does not fall out when it is opened. HOWEVER, the items will start to thaw after about 3 days. We had a generator to use during a 5 day black out, but not now. This worries me. I feel too dependent on the grid. IT is not as reliable as I need if a big storm knocks out power for more than 3 days.

THree freezers are full. Trying to eat them down to two. Saving the pantry stuff, for the most part. THere is always an item to add to the menu/recipe.

We have been repackaging the rice from plastic bags, as the mice will chew open and steal the grain. Has been a long process to kill off all those ^&*((*& rodents. the buggers.

Im looking forward to more canning next year. AND more pickling. We love pickled hard boiled eggs! Great alternative to freezing liquid eggs.

Trying to become more self sufficient......taking years to learn how to......

{when out power goes down, the food at the grocery is tossed as that too lost power. such a waste.]