View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 06:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Beware of OTC meds: what I learned

Passing this on because it's fairly shocking: when a medication moves to OTC (over the counter) they don't list possible side effects any more. Granted, there are warnings on the box, and those were serious enough that I checked online.

I'm throwing the Flonase away.

Quote:
What Are the Downsides to Your Nasal Spray?

A steroid nasal spray like Flonase can combat congestion and other allergy symptoms, but it may also lead to cataracts or changes in the sense of smell.

All I have is a stuffy nose! And the generic sudafed behind the counter at my pharmacy is fine, and I don't even use that any more.

I went to the doctor because a dry hacking cough was keeping me from sleeping, and I was so exhausted I was getting my autoimmune symptoms back. I got a miniscule amount of what I know works from the year I had FOUR sinus infections in a row, and this Flonase.

I was already alerted because it was a steroid medication. I learned I was risking a LOT more than a stuffy nose, like:

Quote:
That said, such drugs are not without drawbacks. The official prescribing information for Flonase before it went OTC included reactions such as headache, sore throat, nosebleeds and cough. Also included were: alteration or loss of sense of taste and/or smell, nasal septal perforation, glaucoma, increased intraocular pressure and cataracts, among other problems.

Would you risk permanent damage to the senses for a stuffy nose?

Now my wariness has increased, and it was already at a paranoid level.
Sponsored Links