View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-19, 21:04
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I don't want to sound overly cynical, but sometimes reality supports it.

The USDA's job is to sell grains and produce. They conveniently also head our nutrition guidelines.

Internationally, food is a huge export $ for us.

Nationally, as Denise Minger mentioned in her book, the person who set the first official nutrition guidelines was told to modify the actual recommendations because the government couldn't afford to feed people meat. They wanted to give them the same cheap food they gave the natives -- flour, sugar ... grains and agri.

Add to that: the people on the board of directors for every major national food company, grain company, agri chemical company, pharma medical chemical company, television radio magazine company, etc. -- are the same small interrelated group of people. The same people making money to grow the crops are also making money selling them, packaging them, advertising them, and then making money off how sick you get eating them. The interconnections in this area were the thing that made me realize, a few decades ago, that those "american paranoids" as I called them, who spent half their life in the library of congress looking up stuff, actually weren't kidding about the everything being run by a small number of people. I'm not talking about the planet (that's above my pay grade for sure ;-)) but about the intertwined issues of agriculture for food, food, food as trade, food as welfare, food as dietary recommendations, food in advertising, and food as a causative issue for health problems.

Now Atkins comes along in 1970, into the most litigious society on God's green earth, and he indirectly evidences that in fact, everything the AMA, ADA, USDA, and US Gov is pushing is what is sweeping the entire western world with physical and mental disease in epidemic and now even pandemic fashion.

Does a diet high in carbs give you diabetes? I believe if they studied it, they would find that for the majority of genetic lines, it does. Great. Can we sue the government for killing our families off? How about for giving us welfare that actually killed us? How about, and here's the kicker, for KNOWING THIS WAS THE CASE and doing it anyway?

I was always astounded that Atkins went down on ice instead of with a bullet and much sooner. The threat of "revelation" this man brought on has multi billion dollar repercussions. Maybe hundreds of billions. Imagine if you will that in 2015, there were about 415 million people official diagnosed with diabetes on this planet. That's the official numbers. Imagine everything that goes into that -- the doctor offices, the blood tests, the glucose monitors, the endless new strips to buy, more blood tests, the medications, and more and more.

Preventing and reversing diabetes kills a gigantic cash cow.

Now add heart disease, the leading cause of death. Hey, throw in blood pressure issues. Oh yeah, and if we take grains out of the diet even by accident, we lose a very big percentage of our asthma, allergies, acid reflux, arthritic joint pain...

Need I go on?

That doesn't even start on the damage to the FOOD and DRINK companies, and the grain industries in particular wheat, sugar and corn.

They attacked Atkins in the press massively. They did disingenious, not-quite-replicated (on purpose) studies to allegedly disprove Atkins. There are comments in every major nutrition textbook right now about how much you need grains, carbs, and how low-carb is a fad and dangerous diet.

See the link in my signature? "Who gives carbs to diabetics?" That's an ad taken out many years ago. The ADA has been pushing exactly what CAUSES and WORSENS diabetes for eons. Their true sponsor list? All the largest soft drink and candy and junkfood manufacturers on earth... and all the largest diabetes pharmaceutical makers on earth. Hmmn, those are the sponsors? Does a single one of those sponsors want diabetes even reduced let alone cured, EVER??

Past that point, the best thing they could do about Atkins was ignore him, suppress as much about him and his diet and its results as they could in the media, and make a repetitive point in every form of medical education, from casual magazine articles to college texts, of emphasizing that low-carb was a dangerous fad.

Because sugar's apparently a required food group now don'tcha know.

Like anything else in the world --

-- follow the money.

PJ