View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-19, 11:25

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I just looked up the food benefits on my state's website. The benefits are calculated for people no matter where they live and there's a significant urban/rural divide, depending on which side of the state you live in, and a related cost of living difference.

I made a household of one with zero income and zero expenses like childcare, etc. Basically, just a single adult with a low/mid-range rent. The allotment for EBT was $194/month. Assuming a 30 day month, that would give you about $45 to spend every 7 days. For three people (they don't differentiate between adults and children), the allotment was $511/month, which works out to $119/week. So that's what the state thinks it costs to eat a basic healthy diet. (This doesn't necessarily extrapolate to what people actually might have to spend on food: The allotment drops off quite rapidly when you have any income at all. I tried again with the amount I got for unemployment last year and put in my actual rent amount. The unemployment $$ barely covered my rent, but the allotment for EBT would have been zero. Luckily I didn't need it.)

That $194 is surprisingly close to what I think is a reasonable amount to spend every month--and I'm a person with a decent income. I typically target about $250/month and that includes wine and booze, expensive things like nuts, salmon, ribeyes, some organic veggies, and whatever treats I want. If I'm working in an office and running around more (straight out after work to evening events, lunches out) I might add $75 to that for those types of meals. But I think with less extravagance (more canned tuna, less salmon, more ground beef, fewer ribeyes, no booze), $45 would be easily do-able.