View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-18, 12:44

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
“What’s absolutely crucial for people to understand is that eating more protein won’t make you more lean and toned,” Bond says. “There must be a component of load-bearing exercise for that to happen. And if you consume more than the body and muscles need, it will be excreted and the extra calories laid down as fat.”

Not a single word in there is true. A child's muscles (and everything else in fact) grow with exactly zero load. An adult's muscles shrink from protein deficiency, not from load deficiency. Hormones and enzymes rule growth. The famous Belgian Blue grows immense muscles just from a single enzyme.

Load certainly stimulates growth, but only up to what's allowed by hormones and enzymes. On the other hand, certain hormones and enzymes respond to load stimulus, yet growth is still ruled by those hormones and enzymes.

Dietary protein has only one place to go - protein synthesis. This is due primarily to the insulin stimulus, which dictates where what we eat goes. Accordingly, dietary protein especially excess protein causes growth. Protein is recycled continuously, I think it's called turnover. Besides growth, there's tons of stuff that requires protein, new protein to work properly, cuz it breaks down, ya. So, growth is one thing, turnover gets quicker with excess protein, things work better.
Quote:
Where you get your protein matters, and, Bond says, the priority should be sources such as beans, pulses, nuts and seeds, with some dairy, lean meat and fish if you eat it. Protein-added foods we can do without. They are invariably more expensive and, Bond says, “they are providing something you absolutely don’t need more of to stay fit and well”.

I call ideological bias. Plant protein is encased in fiber, which we can't digest, so we can't get that protein - zero benefit. Whatever the reason for this particular recommendation does not reflect the facts. If not the facts, then the ideals, ya.

After reading that crap, I feel a little bit vegan. But then, I know better.