Thread: It's Diabetes
View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-18, 07:39

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

(Figured this thread would be moved to the Diabetes sub-forum... Would have posted there to start, but couldn't FIND it when I was posting. Wasn't looking for "Dr. Bernstein" in front of it. Now I know where to look. )

I'll have to look into Dr. Bernstein and some of the other resources mentioned.

I quit doing LC in 2014 when I ran into some pretty hard-core depression. And then 2015 was "the year of 5 funerals" (all for close family, all out of state).

The inner dialog on some of these funeral trips looked like:
Me, at Dunkin Donuts: Literate, if you eat that, it'll put you right back on the track to diabetes. And you know where that leads.

Me, replying to self and ordering: Great. Give me two.

(Suicide by sugar & carbs.)

I grew up in a diabetic household, living with my grandmother. This was in the old days, of urine testing, and an oral drug called Diabinese (which no one seems to have heard of, anymore). She was always out of control... her "normal running" level was around 300. There was zero sugar in our house, but plenty of potatoes, pasta, and bread, which she refused to give up, even understanding (which she did) how they were metabolized.

When the finger-sticks came out, she hated the very idea. She wouldn't stick herself -- she made me do it, and she had a hysterical fit each time.

So I am very intimately familiar with blood sugar levels, the changes they cause, and what foods cause them. And what a cascade uncontrolled diabetes causes in terms of failing health. On the other hand, I don't even know, really, what A1C IS.

On the other hand, when I'm NOT suicidally depressed or in a state of prolonged intense grief (Ah, 2015...) I FEEL better when I eat LC. When I start to be depressed about "depriving" myself, I make a cheesecake. (I have a great recipe, use stevia, and feel it utterly impossible to feel sorry for myself while eating cheesecake.)

Doc visit and lab tests were on Wednesday. Still waiting on results, so we can schedule the follow-up. Already eyeing blood sugar monitors. (I figure that, in the early stages, when I'm getting things under control, monitoring will be important.)

LC. Cut out the starches & sugars. I'll feel better. My BC will stay stable. My energy will increase. The weight will fall off. My pants will begin falling down (The "ugly" side of weight loss: when your clothes don't fit, but you "can't" buy new ones because you're not going to be this particular size for long). My blood pressure -- which has been WEIRD (sometimes high, sometimes my "normal" 90/60) for about a year now -- will probably stabilize.