#5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-18, 16:42

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
The greek yogurts are beefed up with milk protein. My concern is that this is not a balance of all the amino acids-- rather it is lop sided. So to get enough of every one, the total protein is more than needed and a waste. My mom used to mix peanut butter with dried milk-- kind of a tasty play doh!

I stopped buying Cabot greek yogurt when I finally read the ingredients on the label, and realized they were mostly just adding extra protein to regular yogurt it to make it thicker, rather than straining off the whey to produce a thickened product.

As far as I can tell (from the ingredients and nutrition stats), the plain greek yogurt I buy at Aldi's is just strained yogurt. The only real problem with it is that it's made from non-fat milk with cream added. Why on earth remove all the fat to make nonfat milk, then add the cream back into it?

One thing about increasing protein consumption - from what I've read , as you age, it becomes more difficult to absorb dietary protein, so some of it is wasted, which is one of the reasons older people have such a difficult time maintaining muscle mass. So in order for older people to maintain as much muscle mass as possible, it's necessary to combine increased protein consumption with continued exercise. I can't remember exactly where I read this, but I think it was a discussion about a vet putting older dogs on higher protein diets, and finding out they did much better than on the typical low protein chow for older dogs, and that tactic was tried with older people too, with good results.