#7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-18, 15:51

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
First, Brendan, we are so excited for you and proud that you have taken this step to continue to share your success and advocacy for a LCHF way to health.

Thanks Janet. My mind is still in a bit of a blur about it all even now; to say I haven't gotten much sleep these last couple of nights is something of an understatement.

Quote:
To echo what WearBear wrote...get to know the mission of his Ministry. He has an ambitious strategy, not only to improve health but reduce cost.
http://www.health.govt.nz/publicati...h-strategy-2016

Yes, I'm already finding myself landing on various Ministry pages such as this as I put Google to work. I fully expact that to get to know my audience in this way will help me tailor my proposal just as much as knowing Dr Clark's own personal background will.

Quote:
Consider reaching out to Grant Schofield, Caryn Zinn, and the other LC leaders in NZ...what do they think are his top priorities? How much does he already know about low carb? They likely know his views on it.

I've thought about that, but for the time being I've decided not to reach out directly to any pro-LC public figures here such as Grant and Caryn. That's not to say I wouldn't appreciate their help if they found me first (it was a nice wee buzz to get a "like" from Caryn on a Facebook comment of mine a few weeks ago), but I do think there's some value in the unaided personal approach.

As you say, he will know that I am not a scientist. But in a sense, I consider that a strength in that I've come this far without any such high profile backing. I anticipate that he will probably be aware of both Grant and Caryn and their views to some degree already anyway, but if a (still-so-far) independent grass-roots layperson like me can come out and echo anything along the lines of what he may already have heard from actual scientists such as them, then I think that could carry more weight than if there had been any conscious collaboration between us.

Quote:
Dr Westman recently said the PHC.org list of RCTs is complete, up to date and the best clinical evidence since it weeds out epidemiological studies. Dr Clark is not a medical doctor, but a philosopher and Presbyterian minister and politician, so you may not need to get too detailed.

Yes, the PHC list of RCTs was one of the first references to slot right in, as was Dr Hallberg's list on the Virta Health website.

Quote:
He knows you are not a scientist either, maybe agreed to meet you because he wants to hear more about your personal story, and what you think will work to help the "average Joe" (or the NZ equivalent of that phrase ) improve health. Assume you shared your DD success story...a great place to start to talk about other successes, what finally "clicked" for you.

You assume correctly; my DD story was linked in the very first paragraph of my very first email to his office.

It wouldn't surprise me if you were right about him potentially just wanting to keep things to an informal discussion. We may very well only have time for me to introduce myself, give a quick and dirty recap of my personal journey, and move directly through to the ideas I've gathered through the course of said journey. If the science itself gets relegated to the position of "bedtime reading" then so be it, but that's not going to prevent me from making a good effort at putting something together for him on paper anyway.

Thanks for a great post Janet, some really good food for thought.