View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 01:06

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default How Offal Can It Be?

We low carbers know that eating offal/variety meats/innards is a good thing, but some of us find it hard to do. Personally, I like the “interesting” bits, but know that not everybody does. Once upon a time, in a past life, I spent 3 years at an Irish boarding school; lots of good memories, but the food was not optimal. To this day I can’t face any sort of milk pudding - rice, tapioca, etc. I just can’t eat it, even though I have read the recipe, and know that it sounds appetizing. But even 3 years of Irish boarding school didn’t ruin my taste for liver. Go figure. (My mother was a good cook; she made a lovely steak & kidney pie, and liver & onions. She never made tapioca pudding)
I try to fit liver or kidneys in to the menu rotation fairly regularly. DH is European, so doesn’t have a problem with that, for the most part. I have a friend who’s brother in law raises lambs for his table, and those of his relatives. I asked her once whether he would be willing to sell me the kidneys. She said she thought he might; usually he just threw them into the woods “for the bear”. As it turned out he started “throwing” them at me, no charge. After a year or so my package of kidneys started containing liver & heart as well. Lucky me.
I thought it might not be a bad thing to start a conversation about the less well thought of bits of the animals we eat. Do you eat offal? If so, what are your favorite recipes? If not, why not? And would you be willing to change your mind?
Sponsored Links