View Single Post
  #143   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-17, 05:51

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Still on the 4k niacin. Problems arose from too much C at once... backing off from that fixed the problem.

Made a side trip into L-tryptophan, but have already dropped it. The bottle said "three capsules at bedtime" but I only took one in the morning, to see how I reacted to it. Couldn't really tell a difference. The next day I took two, and got dizzy and weird-y. So that's the end of that.

While niacin is considered an amino acid, it seems to work like pregnenolone: it's the building blocks the body uses to make the thing, not the thing itself. By using precursors, I dodge the problems of neurotransmitter dosage and leave it up to the body.

Like the movie Awakenings demonstrated, administering direct neurotransmitters is a very tricky business. The body itself makes this a very tightly regulated process, and we mess with this at our peril. It explains how my previous attempts to help my brain with GABA and melatonin didn't work. There was an "okay it seems to help a bit" period in the beginning, and then, trouble. Such external application runs into the same problem that hormone replacement does; it inhibits the body from making its own, and can be more trouble than the original problem.