View Single Post
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 08:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Taubes leans heavily on the animal literature, correctly stating that high intakes of refined sugar sometimes cause insulin resistance in rodent models. But he omits two inconvenient facts: First, sugar is not very fattening in rodents, particularly relative to added fats like lard; and second, added fats also tend to cause more severe insulin resistance than sugar (19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24).

The combination of added fat and sugar is even more harmful than fat alone, and the most fattening and insulin-resistance-inducing diet of all is to give rodents free access to a variety of highly palatable human foods (25, 26). Sugar alone cannot remotely explain the effects of palatable human food on body fatness and health in rodents– or in humans– although it does contribute.

This bit... time to get tiresome about omega 6's and endocannabinoids again.

There's a series of studies using omega 6 fatty acids. Mice fed high fat diets get fatter. But if you give them a low fat diet--but with the same omega 6 content as a high fat chow diet, they'll get just as fat. And if you give them a high fat diet--but you restrict the omega 6 to 1 percent--again, it's not fat. 8 percent omega 6, fat, 1 percent, not. They put it down to endocannabinoid, either there is excess endocannabinoid production at 8 percent--or deficient endocannabinoid with 1 percent, either way, the end result is that the mice are fatter at 8 percent than at 1 percent. Drugs that target the endocannabinoid system do decrease appetite and bodyweight--but probably pretty predictably, can increase depression. This doesn't necessarily mean that even omega 6's are intrinsically fattening--they could just be permissive, if comfort food stops being comfort food when endocannabinoid production is below a certain point. It wouldn't be surprising if the baseline condition of laboratory animals was sort of depressed, before you get to diet.

Of course this brings things around to sugar, or carbohydrate,not being the sole problem in the modern environment, that's a point I really don't disagree with Stephan about. And the point about just about everybody getting funding from biased parties is valid, Jeff Volek has received some support from the egg industry, and he's done studies showing improvements in hdl when people eat eggs.

Whether sugar in the diet is a serious or even necessary contributor to modern disease--if you're on this board, and this applies to you personally, I think you probably know who you are. For me, I think it contributed, but I also thing I could have gotten in an awful lot of trouble just eating french fries and pizza.