View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-16, 17:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Welcome Leigh. Here's the thing: none of us is you. So, while we can identify with the urges, and the feeling ashamed after giving in to them, we don't know exactly what it's like for you.

Here's what I do know about carbs, though: they are an addiction. Whether it's emotional eating, or whatever, it's the avenue that carbs have found works to get you to eat them. For some people, it's "special occasions". Oh, I can't say no to this cake, Suzy will be so hurt, it's her birthday! Oh, if I don't eat some of these Christmas cookies, what will everyone thinK?

Sometimes it's boredom: I am so tired of eating LC. I know that there are literally thousands of recipes that I could be trying, but Oh, I am so tired of it all.

Sometimes (usually) it's some combination of all of them. But whether it's your emotions saying that you feel bad, so you deserve X carby poison, or your not wanting to stand out for not eating Y carby poison, or your lack of interest in the meal you had planned leading you to want Z carby poison, it's still poison, you know?

It still will lead to a slow or fast death from T2D, heart attack, stroke. It still destroys your digestive system, your joints, your brain. Poison is poison, you know?

So, all of the suggestions are good ones, especially the very basic one about getting the poison out of your house, and replacing it with whole, healthy low carb foods. That's LCHF 101, isn't it?

The next step is to find out what it takes for YOU to say no when the carby poisons start their whining to get you to eat them again.

For me, it's a two step process. Step one is to get the heck away from the food--and food only lives in my kitchen. (I used to have a stash of something sweet in my office. Never again!)

Step two, if the cravings are really bad, is to eat something that feels indulgent, but is very very low, or zero carb. For me, the perfect answer to cravings is bacon. I have some in the frig, always, and it's ready to nuke and eat at a moment's notice.

I'd love to know your thoughts about what people have said to you here.