View Single Post
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 10:44
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Changing the direction, but I'm wondering how many of us drink bone broth (and how much) while IF. Ive seen Esmee make pretty strong comments about bone broth being antiketogenic as "fact," but it looks pretty much like her findings are based on n=1.

Quote:
While I was successful in lowering my fasting blood glucose and increasing my fasting blood ketones, the changes were only moderate. I was now in nutritional ketosis, but at a very low level.Then, I decided to skip the bone broth for a few days, and the effect on both my glucose and ketones was quite dramatic. After only one day without bone broth, my fasting blood glucose decreased from 85-95 mg/dL to 65-75 mg/dL, and my fasting blood ketones increased from 0.9-2.4 mmol/L to 4.8-6.5 mmol/L.

Bone broth contains high amounts of the amino acid glutamine and, apparently, glutamine can easily be converted into glucose.It is for this reason that Dr. Thomas Seyfried, author of Cancer as a Metabolic Disease, recommends limiting glutamine, as well as carbohydrates, to people following a Ketogenic diet for cancer management. Cancer cells can use glutamine for fuel just as easily as they can use glucose from carbohydrates.

https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/10/

I'm curious because I was probably drinking a quart of broth while IF, and I was losing more slowly than I have been since dropping that. I still IF a random day here and there, but have not been drinking broth when I do.

I know that the main reason (according to Dr. Fung) to do IF is for stop the secretion of insulin, not necessarily weight loss, but wouldn't being in a ketogenic state be necessary to stop insulin?