View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: LC Mediteranian, Dr. Fung
Stats: 210/175/155 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 64%

I record my readings in excel and have an offset (based on my last lab) to a gluco meter and strip package. My Freedom lite was 9.5 high (offset -9.5) , Walmart was 8 low (offset +8). At the blood draw I did multiple samples of each strip and they were consistent.

When I run low on the strip package, I open a 2nd to compare results between strip lots and, if needed make a correction to the offset for the new package. The Walmart offset went from +8 to +2. I use fewer of the Freedom lites because of the expense: $1.51 each versus $0.21 each. Originally because of the FL accolades, I'd hoped to use the FL as a reference standard for a cheaper meter but, alas, it has to be accurate first.

From the numbers above the Freedom lite accuracy is closer to 10% versus the touted 5%. I've noticed a +/- 10% variation or more between lots and have wondered if the vendor is controlling the temperature during shipping and warehouse storage. It seems freshly opened strips are off at first but begin to correlate better after a few days. This might be because of humidity affecting the glucose enzyme.

As for drops, I use the FL lancet because it makes a bigger hole and lots more blood comes out. This reduces the interstellar fluid . I believe the second and successive drops are the same blood, although I have read of doing 10 windmills while working the hand and fingers to push in newer system blood through the capillaries. I don't measure the same drop twice, I squeeze another one and always slurp it off the top not near the skin. Meter strips uptake blood best in different positions; the window must be full too.

My biggest problem is the strips seem to have too much variation. Very low confidence. My background with measuring devices and accuracy has taught me to be skeptical, to look for problems, and question everything.