View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-14, 08:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. I can relate to your situation: I never told anyone, and my weight ranged from "healthy" to low. I really think you're on the right track. A huge contributor to my eating disorder was the fact that I could NOT moderate my low-fat "healthy" diet. I was constantly hungry and prone to bingeing. It was honestly easier for me to survive on coffee, V8 and protein drinks (ketosis, anyone?)

Eating low-carb puts you in the best position for recovery, IMO. Yes, you're restricting your carbs, but that's because they're an addictive substance! If you've already tried 'moderation' of the terrible standard diet and it doesn't work, then it simply doesn't work and you have to try something else. I consider it practicing abstinence. I don't know if this applies to you or not...

Eating LC also greatly helped the anxiety and depression I struggled with since I was a teen. The ED basically got put out of a job. This is huge. I really believe a lot of mental illnesses will respond favorably to better nutrition.

Best of luck to you. I'd recommend getting professional help, but that would make me kind of a hypocrite. Do make sure you have a safe place to vent and/or ask questions. There are ED recovery forums out there, too.

(ETA) I peeked at your journal and I see you're 17 or 18? I know I would never have wanted to talk to my parents, family doctor, or anyone at school about an ED; but in the city I lived in when I was in my 20s, there was a Teen Health Center. It was available for anyone under 24 and it was free and confidential. They had support groups and medical care. Maybe see if there's something like that in your area?