Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 19:59
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I'm not diabetic, but test blood sugars periodically to gauge how certain foods affect my blood glucose. And if I do venture into diabetic territory, I want to be the first to know.

However, Dr Fung's emphasis on insulin rather than blood sugar is making me call this practice into question a bit. If glycemic and insulin indexes only correlate 23% of the time, how useful is that information? In fact, if blood sugar is up, can I assume insulin might be down? Or is it up and my body is simply resistant to it? If blood sugar is down, is it because insulin is up? Now I want a home insulin test.

I've had high insulin for years, and much of the time quite low blood glucose (reactive hypoglycaemia), it's drifted up over the years as I've become more and more insulin resistant.

so no, BG is not a good way to monitor insulin - though even when my BG was normal, I always knew my insulin was still high because I don't get post meal BG rises - mine always falls, regardless of what I eat. But I think I'm an unusual case.