Old Tue, Jul-22-14, 06:38

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Here's Dr. Fung's food guidelines as Janet posted earlier as a link:

Quote:
OUR DIETARY “INDEX”

Foods to Avoid Most of the Time (almost 0% of your daily dietary intake)

1. Processed, Refined and Genetically Modified Carbohydrates

Products containing wheat or wheat flour, including: bread, bagels, breakfast cereals, pasta, crackers, and beer
Sugar and artificial sweeteners
Sugar or sweetened beverages, including: soda, diet sodas, and fruit juices
White rice
Corn and soy containing products
Cheese (processed cheese only)
Lunch meats
Margarine
Processed oils, including: vegetable and corn oils

Foods to Eat Less Often (<10% of your daily dietary intake)

1. Root Vegetables

Potatoes
Yams
Beets

2. Unprocessed Grains

Quinoa
Barley
Buckwheat
Spelt
Rye
Black rice

3. Bananas and Grapes

Foods to Eat More Of (>90% of your dietary intake)

1. Vegetables (grown above the ground) – high in fibre!

2. Legumes and Lentils – high in fibre!

3. Fruits – high in fibre when eaten with the skin!

Berries
Cherries
Apples
Pears
Avocados – high in natural fat!

3. Nuts, Nut Butters and Seeds – high in natural fat!

Almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, and Brazil nuts are among the healthiest
Peanuts are actually legumes and not nuts, but they are a great source of natural fat and protein
Nut butters should be organic

4. Meat, poultry and Fish – high in natural fat!

5. Eggs – high in natural fat!

6. Butter – high in natural fat!

7. Unprocessed oils, including: coconut oil, olive oil and avocado oil – high in natural fat!
http://intensivedietarymanagement.c...-index-idm-2-2/

Legumes, lentils and fruit included on the 90% list is not compatible with low carb thinking, but it meshes with my own experience. It also meshes with some of the vegetarian and naturopathic advice that many people claim works for them.

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I knew I would eat low carb but I was also curious about what others were saying and found books and followers of higher carb diets who were also claiming success. One book I read was the naturopath Michael Murray as I've found him sensible and helpful in the past. But then I figured those plans were probably for people with less advanced diabetes. But certainly Dr. Fung's patients, as included on his blog, sound quite advanced yet he's obviously not sweating the details about "what to eat" in terms of lowest carb.

If it's not blood sugar and low carb per se that is important, but instead insulin resistance and the important of fiber as an "antidote" as Dr. Fung says to the "poison" of high glycemic food, than it would make sense that people could do well on a diabetic diet that included relatively high carb plant foods if they also include high fiber.

After all, people have been eating potatoes, beans, fruits, etc for generations without become diabetic in the great numbers we see now. He says:

Quote:
Because insulin is the main driver of obesity and diabetes, anything that tends to reduce insulin is beneficial. In essence, fibre acts as a sort of ‘antidote’ to the carbohydrate (poison).

This works out great, because virtually all plant foods, in their natural, unrefined state contain varying degrees of fibre! Nature has pre-packaged the poison with the antidote. Dietary protein and fat do not usually contain fibre because you do not need the antidote if you do not take the poison. ...

The toxicity does not lie in the food, the toxicity lies in the processing.
(his emphasis) http://intensivedietarymanagement.c...l-obesity-xvii/