View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-13, 13:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/230/160 Male 185
BF:
Progress:
Default Trouble understanding cholesterol, LDL and HDL

Hi. I'm trying to understand what cholesterol, LDL and HDL is. I tried getting the information I wanted on wikipedia, but it's so confusing. What I understand is that cholesterol is the name of a single organic molecule and this is quite easy to understand. What I don't understand is when people start talking about "LDL-cholesterol" and "HDL-cholesterol". LDL stands for "Low-density lipoprotein" and is one of five groups of lipoprotein (one of the other being HDL). "LDL transports lipids such as cholesterol and triglycerides" wikipedia says, so why do they call it "LDL-cholesterol"? It would be like saying "insulin-glucose". I did some further reading about chylomicron which is yet another of these lipoprotein groups. Chylomicron is a group of small particles that consists of (among others) 85-92% triglycerides and 1-3% cholesterol, this makes so sense. Is one group of lipoproteins transporting another group of lipoproteins? Further reading about Very Low-Density Lipoprotein tells me that VLDL is also used to transport cholesterol and fats and is made in the liver BY fats and cholesterol? So now we have a lipoprotein that transports lipoproteins and is made by lipoproteins I'm so confused.
Sponsored Links