Thread: Paleo??
View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-13, 08:20

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was at a party yesterday when someone brought up the subject of Paleo and opined that it was ridiculous to cut out whole groups of foods - moderation was the way to go. My new philosophy is not to enter into food discussions any more. Let people believe what they believe, I'm not their keeper. Unfortunately a couple of the guests knew that I eat that way so it felt like lying by omission not to say anything.

I said that many people cannot eat grains in moderation because they have an addictive quality and since I eliminated them completely I have resolved three major health issues: asthma, osteopenia, and a 26-year skin rash that no doctor could cure. I chose not to mention my 35lb weight loss because I didn't want to inform the whole room that I used to be fat, lol, but then someone's mother remarked that I was a lot thinner since the last time she saw me! The "moderation" lady then confided that her whole family had not been feeling well for a while and they'd looked into Paleo but she couldn't see how to make it work in a family with kids where both parents work long hours. She had always been dependant upon fast, commercial food for herself and her family and the idea of finding time for actual cooking was the biggest turnoff.

I must admit I had a lot of sympathy with her because I'd never cooked either, but of course it's turned out to be the best thing I ever did for myself and essential to making this w.o.e. work in the long term. I'm sure it's the perception of cooking being time-consuming that is keeping most of the population dependent on processed, chemical "food".