View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-12, 21:43

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I have two young children also.

I teach them nutrition. How to evaluate the choices. How to eat from all the food groups. ( I tossed the food pyramid long ago but they still use it in the schools; well, now its the rainbow thing . . .) If they have had a piece of fruit, the next fruit must be a different fruit. Have they had a veg today? THis seems to always be the hardest for them to remember. Fortunately, with a reminder, a salad will be gobbled up quickly, or they cook up a head of broccali or get out ranch dressing to dip green beans into.

THis did not happen over night. I encouraged cooking by starting with baking brownies when they were about three. How to measure out ingredients ( I did it) and they stirred and poured it into the greased pan. ALl part of a plan to learn how to cook, discuss foods, and understand how foods effect our bodies to either improve our health or destroy it.

My kids get a lot of junk food in my opionion, but certainly far less than most children. At parties I will not tell my son no fritos, but it does seem that some parties provide all the junk food possible. WE try to serve one chip along with vegie platters and fruit. THe kids will eat this. School is one of my pet peeves. Despite new rules, the teachers can get around them. TOday was a snack box exchange. THad is code for junk food as it must all be prepackaged for the sake of allergies. Healthy food costs a bit more so my kids get : oranges, apples, bananas, cheesestick, yogurts ( too much sugar), sugar free peanut butter and jelly, carrot sticks, cherry tomatos, homemade granola.

It is a path to move children from eating instant oatmeal as little ones, to measuring out 1/2 cup of oatmeal to cooking steel cut oats. By 9 years old, my kids eat steel cut oats for breakfast. I also put out a side of tomatos, sometimes oranges, and find it is a good time to get in a vegetable. Who says breakfast must be void of veggies.

I struggle too with helping my kids to grow up to be healthy adults. I try to teach the nutrition so that when they are young adults they can make good choices and not pick a sweet just to rebell. Don't get me started about Halloween candy. . . .