View Single Post
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-12, 15:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

On the cancer thing--they take a bunch of mice, put them on ketogenic diets, all the same ratios, either ad lib fed or calorie restricted. These mice vary more than us human--but I wonder what would happen if they treated them like patients? Or at least treated them the way patients should be treated--as individuals. Adjusting the diet for each individual to whatever degree necessary to get a certain level of ketosis.

Steve Phinney describes nutritional ketosis as a fairly fragile state--and it makes sense that the harder it is for a person to get there, the more fragile the state. Jimmy Moore's being pretty quiet about his menu, but he keeps giving his protein intake--it's a pretty tight range, I think it's 75 to 80 grams a day. If you take his word that he really needs to hold it that tight--you can see where, just winging it, a person with similar difficulty getting there would be a lot better off if they had a ketone meter. Too little protein, and you're likely to get paranoid about lean mass loss (I know I'm prone to that). That's probably something that could help with as well; above a certain level of ketosis, I think probably you're not getting enough protein to avoid some lean mass loss. If protein was just a little too low, I could see a person having trouble maintaining the diet--the body basically rejecting the diet.

I must have too much time on my hands. I'm getting blabbier on line.