Old Sat, May-12-12, 09:40
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It was a year and a half ago, more or less, when I started supplementing with Vitamin D. After considerable research, and the test that revealed my level was 37, I settled on 10k a day and passed the least-ill winter of recent times.

So when my test last fall pegged my level at 96, I was all Mission Accomplished and dropped my daily intake back to 5k. (I also started taking chelated magnesium somewhat earlier.)

But every time I drop back to 5k this past winter & spring... I get sick. Real sick! And when I take more D3; I get better again.

This was the fourth round, and I can't stand it any more. I guess I'll get tested again soon, to see what happens to my levels, but I have to see what happens when I stick to 10k a day.

Dr. Hollick, a vitamin D guru, maintains his D levels around 120 ng/mL. I've been as high as 300 and prefer a level around 200. I would never drop my level of supplementation fall going in to winter. I don't drop my D supplementation until late spring when I can get more sun reliably enough to generate vitamin D on my skin.

My doctor has done untrasounds of my soft tissue and organs and I have no ill effects from maintining my vitamin D levels that consistently high.

My usual advice is 5,000 IU/day summer to fall and 10,000 IU/day late fall thru spring. But that's for a healthy person. A person with deficiency and especially with evident deficiency symptoms needs more. I believe that first you have to "fill the hole".

High vitamin D supplementation and injections in my knees has reversed my arthritis and eliminated the bone spurs I had in my knee joints.

I've always believed that vitamin D deficiency and deficiency symptoms take time and a lot of vitamin D to reverse. It's taken about 5-6 years for my osteopena to reverse and for the osteoarthritis in my knees to improve from severe/needing knee replacements to moderate. Also during that time I have had some cartilage grow back in my knees...that's not supposed to be able to happen.

I don't encourage anyone to use the amounts/IUs of vitamin D that I've used by mouth and injection but I do consider 10k IU/day relatively small and maybe inadequate to address long standing deficiency.