#49   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 20:01

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattledeb
Hi, all. After doing Atkins for 11 months, I am seeing a return to low thyroid symptoms--cold, hair loss, brittle nails. I have an appointment to get my levels rechecked, but last time I had them tested after 6 months on the LC way of eating, I was told I did not need more of a dose. I am worrying that I may need to add carbs, and undo all the good this WOE has brought. Any thoughts?

Are you in any way eating any wheat products? (low carb tortillas, pitas, etc?). I think when I consume wheat is when I get these issues. My hair is definitely thinning very badly (not just judging at the huge globs that come out in the shower), my skin is so dry that my face flakes all day no matter what or how much lotion I use, and my nails break and flake as well. Not to mention I'm as cold as the 80 pound girls I work next to (seriously 80 pounds, they're all short and very thin).. I notice if I eliminate wheat all together, things get better. I also think I have thyroid issues, but I haven't found a doctor that will listen to me when I tell them what tests I want done. Also, if you ADD carbs, it doesn't need to 'undo' the good.. You can add way more leafy greens (or juice them if you can buy a juicer online from Amazon or somewhere else for cheap) or other healthful beneficial veggies.