View Single Post
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-11, 16:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Hi everyone,

Sorry to go off the scientific deep end. As simply as I can say it, browned food indicates damage to the proteins in the food (cross-linking). Browned toast, for example, indicates that the gluten proteins have been damaged. Browned eggs indicate damage to the protein in the albumen (the white part of the egg). That damage makes it more difficult for the body to incorporate the protein into your body, requiring all sorts of biological repair.

Whofan's right: humans have the biological means to fight the damage cause by cross-linked proteins. But the repair is slow, isn't always complete or perfect, and our body's repair resources are limited. Over time, the damage piles up, especially once humans are past the breeding stage, and nature stops caring for you.

For a more detailed explanation, google "cellular glycation" or "AGEs." The least technical explanation I found about this topic is on about.com, in a discussion about aging.

In regard to avoiding browning omelettes, I use lower heat on the stove and enough fat in the pan to make the eggs "float" on the fat when I pour them in.