View Single Post
  #220   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 12:09

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
"My grandparents used to eat bread and cake and potatoes and they were thin", she might argue. While that might have been true for previous generations, they were never metabolically "broken" by years of modern eating. It's my belief that most of us are. As a result, we have lost the ability to handle the foods that we used to eat. It's a kind of overuse syndrome. After a lifetime of overuse of starch and sugar, we've become highly intolerant: in the gut, in the brain, in the adipose tissue. Worst of all, this intolerance sets off an insulin response that triggers just about every modern scourge from heart disease to cancer. If you are one of the susceptible, tell me honestly: are these foods worth playing with?

The grandparent comment was my EXACT response when a psychiatrist handed me a sheet of paper basically outlining a low carb diet back in 2001 telling me that if I would follow it I would cure my depression. I finally bit the bullet in 2003 and he was right. And now I totally agree with what Dr. B says here.

Quote:
eating a diet that is full of the original products of our earth is extremely wonderful and can be done with endless variation. We have nothing to fear from fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, fish, seafood, nuts, berries and the like. Let's enjoy them fully. If this involves an enjoyment of cooking (and even an immersion in the healthier aspects of the Food Channel!) it's fine. But simple eating, with little fuss, can be a zen-like experience and just as lovely as creating fancy combinations.

I agree with this as well. I am REALLY enjoying my food and trying new things and new combinations. Sometimes I get fancy, but most often it is just simply prepared and it is DELICIOUS. To get to experience the fact that walnuts are <sweet> is amazing. Who woulda' thunk it???

Another great article...