View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-11, 22:39
Registered Member

Plan: x
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Weightlifting and Low Carbing Questions--Plea for help!

Just a few days ago, I decided to low carb after about 6 weeks of lifting and loving it. This has led to me reading a bunch of stuff about weightlifting and low carbing, some of which is true, some of which I'm questioning.

So, I'm hoping to get some info from some of you who might have more personal experience with this than the journalists I've been reading. This article on LiveStrong pretty much sums up all the articles I've been reading. http://www.livestrong.com/article/256559-low-carb-diet-weight-lifting/ None of the authors speak from personal experience, though, which makes me wonder a bit.

Basically, I'm hearing that it is possible to lift while LCing, but it depletes your endurance and diminishes your volume. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I noticed today, my second lifting workout since I began the LC thing, that I have slightly less endurance than before. I usually do 4 sets of 10, and used to have to really push to make those last reps in the 4th set, but I could do them. Today, I found that if I tried to push myself, I couldn't do it. I ended up doing 2 normal sets of 10 reps, then 4 sets of 5 reps. I felt so wussified, and I really wonder, is it okay to do it that way, or should I lower my weight so I can return to the 4 sets of 10?

They also advised my post workout shake be some crazy concoction I cannot imagine wanting to spend the time trying to make. I don't even know where to buy most of the ingredients.
Quote:
Consume a whey protein recovery shake immediately after your workout. Spike it with glutamine, which acts as an alternate source of energy to carbohydrates, and leucine, an amino acid that helps prevent muscle breakdown.

I was just planning on eating a couple of boiled eggs, lol. And I was looking at taking creatine, but I have no clue if that's even something I should be considering right now. Would creatine be beneficial to a woman who low carbs? I had a couple ex-boyfriends who lived by the stuff, but I actually never tried it.

I knew I didn't know what I was doing when I decided to combine lifting with LCing, but I figured I have a PC connected to the internet. No knowledge will be hidden from my eyes! ERNT! Knowledge you read but cannot understand is hidden, and having the feeling that maybe they're complicating something needlessly makes me wonder if it's really that important.

So, here are my questions:
1) My body no longer has tons of glucose it can use for energy while I lift, but the Atkins book says your body will make the transition to burning fat for your energy needs. It seems to me that my episode of lower endurance might just be a passing thing, as my body goes from looking for glucose for energy to using fat. (a)Tell me how wrong (or right) I am on that one, and (b) if my solution of doing the same number of reps but splitting them up differently is inadvisable, let me know that, too.

2) I know the post-workout snack is pretty important. I'm doing Induction right now, which means my carbs are limited, so if I ate my normal protein bar with 14 carbs, I'd basically be eating very few veggies for the next two weeks. I considered boiled eggs, two of those will provide 12 grams of protein. Is that going to be enough, or should I add a couple slices of bacon or sausage, too?

3) Is Creatine even an option for a low carber? I don't know how much (if any) carbs it has, and I also don't know how to mix it with a drink. Would it make me gag if I mixed it with water or SF lemonade/Kool-Aid?
Sponsored Links