View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 19:14

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

I have been reading the book by Allan & Barbara Pease...
" Why men don't listen..... and women can't read maps"

Its main thesis is that that men and women are different. Not better or worse - just different.
Society today is determined to believe that men and women posess exactly the same skills, aptitudes and potential - yet science, ironically, is begining to prove that they are completely different.

This is particularly true when it comes to diet, weight and perception of self. It is also true for the specific ways in which low carb affects men and women.

Many women report that husbands or boyfriends have no trouble losing weight but for the women it is an uphill struggle.

But this is just a perception. Take a look at this forum. The women far outnumber the men. This lack of numbers just makes it appear that it is a female problem. Not so. It is just a different problem.

For us men, obesity or being overweight is a practical problem for which we seek solutions. We are good a seeking solutions. Low carb appeals because it has a scientific justification, it is a process, it is a methodology. We can be in control. We tend to seek information and are persuaded by logic.

For women it is a greater part psychological, more feeling, and the support required is moral support, encouragement, and comaraderie.

Of course we all help each other, and can understand the needs of others but we do have different needs.

I for one solitary male do not go for recipes, am not motivated by the ra ra, way to go, you have done great.. approach when a pound is lost. I care not for whoosh fairies, water retention nor do I fantazise on chocolate or hunks/babes.

Reading my posts and journals you will find not recipes, nor day to day weight struggles, but a little humour, a little of what is going on in my life, reflections on food and my relation to it, and a recognition of the passing seasons.

In many ways my posts are infomational rather than emotional. This may be a male thing or it may just be me.

So is there a place for a purely male thread. Perhaps so. But it is unlikely to have a permanent shelf life. We are not going to raise the passion that the ladies will generate. We are the channel clickers, we are the grazers and the hunters. We can read maps and know where low carb can take us but we are terrible at asking for directions or advice.

We will just read the posts of the ladies who ask the questions we would never ask.

But I will return