#101   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 13:19

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
My parents always ate a fairly healthy diet until their 70's, then it seems like they decided to throw in the towel and eat whatever. That's about when they started going to Denny's ever week for breakfast and Dad would have an enormous stack of pancakes with syrup. Ugh. Their health declined from that point on pretty quickly, although they lived until 85 & 86. But it was really my Father's mental competency that faded pretty quickly.

My sister and I debated whether or not we should intervene in their diet but by that time their mental abilities were so much worse we didn't think they had the capacity to understand why the diet changes were necessary or be able to adhere to it.

It is frustrating!

I can remember my grandmother saying in her 70's "food is the only comfort I have left." She had always been very careful with her diet, had a more "traditional" diet and was very healthy for many years. But at some point I think she figured she was closer to the end (and living alone), so why bother eating that way? She started eating more sugar and carbs (although not a huge amount). Just a few years later she had a few micro-strokes and dementia. I can't help believing that if she had kept to her WOE she may not have had the strokes, and her final years would have been much better for her (and the rest of us). This was several years ago, so I didn't know about the difference food could make -- but you do wonder. I really miss that wonderful woman.