View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-10, 13:09

Plan: SemiVegetarian Lower Carb
Stats: 335/323/150 Female 67 inches
BF:73%/73%/30%
Progress: 6%

First off if you want a proper diagnosis go to a dr that specializes in hormones like a endocrinologist, gynecologist, or internist. I had this really nice family dr for a few years. She kept telling my all my symptoms were from being overweight and to just take some pounds off and they would go away. So last fall I decided to try a new dr. and on my first visit he diagnosed me with PCOS with Endometrial hyperplasia (I had never heard of it before he diagnosed me with it). He diagnosed this based on my list of symptoms and my blood work. But he felt because I already have children and do not plan on having more that there was no need to treat me. I guess he was just looking at the infertility part of pcos and not the whol picture. That was 7 months ago. Then I decided to go to yet another dr. this time a Internist I had half a year to prepare for the appointment and get all my info together and already had a diagnosis and did research on what treatments I wanted to try and I explained to the dr what I expected of him, and what meds I wanted to try, and how quickly I expected treatment to start, and made sure he knew I expected RESULTS that it was not about fertility it was about how lousy and sick I felt. LOL I had been waiting for 7 months and sick for 8 years and was past ready to get things moving along quickly, and he agreed, So this last Monday I started Metformin, and Loestrin (that has progesterone in it) and on Wednesday he ordered a vaginal ultrasound. I weigh 338 and they had no problem doing the ultrasound.

Metformin has been hard to get used to. It makes me super sick. My dr told me that part of it is just the pill it can cause GI issues and that is why I started on half dose for two weeks then will move to full dosage. He also said if I eat too much sugar, fat, or carbs then it can effect it too and make my tummy worse. and by tummy issues I am talking about feeling like I am going to throw up and horrible diarrhea and stomach cramps so bad that I could barley leave the house for fear I would too far away from a bathroom! I have heard many people have this problem on it.

It took me about 8 years total to get a diagnosis. And it came down to something as simple as changing dr's to find one who knows and understands pcos. Search up a forum called soul cycters. soulcysters.net They are all about pcos and have a whole board dedicated to the symptoms, how to get diagnosed, treatment, and which dr's in your area that are great and which ones are not good at dealing with pcos and they also have a forum that lists natural over the counter remedies that might work for you.