View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-10, 12:31

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Nine months! Hasn't really helped his pain in my opinion....but the possibility exists it could be worse I suppose! He agreed to start using the vicodin and also admitted he used the wine to cope. Dr. Davis also said the wine DID NOT CAUSE his problem. He wrote:

Dr. Davis

Master Contributor

Posted: 2/14/2010 8:33:05 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome, ReelKeel. Wow! I think CADHEART and Lindy made all the crucial points. Your husband is demonstrating what is actually a very common pattern in people who have overindulged in carbohydrates and have a genetic sensitivity to carbohydrates: high triglycerides (the first "domino"), which leads to low HDL, drop in healthy large HDL, small LDL (severe ), an--no question--pre-diabetes. The important issue here is eliminate wheat, cornstarch, sugars, and other unnecessary carbohydrates. This is not Atkins, as we do not say "eat all the bacon, cheese, and sausage you can," which causes colon cancer, increases uric acid, and causes other health problems. Also, as Lindy points out, lipoproteins alone do not constitute near-term risk; the presence of heart disease does this. So a heart scan and/or a stress test are in order. This should be common sense on the part of his doctor; if he doesn't get this, then it's time to find someone who does, as well as knows how to tie his shoes.

He also said in an email he has had this for a long time. He has been on and off the prednisone for years but yes, he did used to overindulge in carbs....as in donuts, blizzards, fries daily! He is now happy on th TYP diet plan!