View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 16:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/130/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:no thanks!
Progress: 60%

Well, I wasn't low carbing with either of my pregnancies and in hindsight, I should have been! I ate crap because I "needed to eat something" and crackers and bread (and chips and other crap) seemed ok... till I was gaining 8lbs every month (even in the beginning) AND to boot - I was severely nauseated (had to take meds).

I don't see any problem with eating low carb during pregnancy - of course Atkins does say in his book that the induction phase isn't recommened for pregnant women - I see nothing wrong with eating meats, eggs, veggies, fruits... seriously, it's what they used to eat in the beginning of time, right?

Protein can ward off nausea, fruits and veggies will keep you from getting bunged up, and meat has iron that you need for baby (well, you as baby is taking all yours!)

Personally - I would probably not eat as high of fat... but that might be just because I haven't looked into it much - it might be fine.

You could always take a list of food to your doc and day that is what you eat and see what they say?

I<3splenda - I would have more protein snacks around for sure!!! You will naturally be hungrier while pregnant and that's ok! It might even level off for you after 3 months or so... so as long as you're putting good food into your body, you will do great!

I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the 20-30lbs of weight gain... it can become something you obsess over - I would just focus on eating the right kinds of good food for you and your baby. If your blood pressure and urine tests are good at your appts, be happy that you know you're doing the right thing!