View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 08:26
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I don't know if I am appropriate person to answer this thread, since clearly I am still a long way from my goal weight. However, I have managed to get below 300 pounds for the first time in 10 years, so clearly something has changed for me.

I can really relate to Karen's quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
I used to want to do everything for and by myself, never ask for help, be in total control of everything. Well, I learned that giving up the control was the key to sanity when I had been doing the opposite.

That describes me perfectly and it's something I have had to deal with to stick to this way of eating. I've had to let go of some of the control at work and some of the control with my family in order to find time to focus on my own health, both spiritual and physical. I'm learning that if I set limitations and simply say, "No, I won't do that," the world does not end. When I get all caught up in needing to control everything, I don't have the time to eat properly and exercise, and I don't have the contemplative time I need to work through my own issues.

It's very hard to do. I have a demanding job where I supervise a lot of people, I have a husband who has had health problems (cancer), and two teenagers, one of whom has a variety of problems. However, I can't make everything all better for everyone and years of trying have only helped me destroy my health.

The funny thing is since I have started setting more limitations on the demands everyone else puts on me, I think I am actually more helpful to them. My husband remarked recently that I was much happier than I had been and that happiness had a positive effect on everyone around me.

I know this is something I will struggle with for the rest of my life, but I think it is the key to health for me.