View Single Post
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 14:47

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

I have just scrolled through this entire thread to see if Dr Mary Newport was mentioned. I read the article quoted above today. Very very interesting. She doesn't seem to be eating a low-carb diet with her husband - she mentions oatmeal - but the improvements her DH made after just 37 days of adding a few tsps of VCO a day to his diet are amazing.

My mum (may she rest in peace) died at age 64 and probably had Alzheimer's. My sister and I were asked if we wanted her brain autopsied to see if she really did have AD and we said no, because neither of us thought that we could handle living with the idea - if she really did have it - that we could be in line for it, too. She had gone very weird long before that, so we hardly had any contact with her, which is why I can't say much more about her condition. But a few things I do know: she ate very badly, and had spent a lot of time indoors for the previous 15 years because she was a raving hypochondriac. So she didn't get much natural Vitamin D, for sure.

I am now hoping that having become a low-carb convert, who regularly eats coconut oil and other fats, who takes Vit D religiously now, might prevent me from going down the same path. Or at least, it might slow the whole process down???

I think the increased incidence of AD could well be a combination of too few fats and too many carbs, not just the overdose of carbs in the diet.

Anyway, reading that Dr Mary Newport article has certainly made me glug down the VCO with a vengeance today!!! I hope I'll remember to keep on doing so...

amanda