#8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 11:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/273/190
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Been There, Done That!

I have been overweight for as long as I can remember, back to when I was 180lbs in the eighth grade. I slowly grew in size as I entered the working world after college and moved into a sedentary job field. Well as you can see from my stats I've really topped out. About two years ago I was part of the National Weight Loss program, weighing in every day, telling them what I ate, etc. I dropped then from 267 to 223. I was exstatic, I went and bought new shirts and suites that celebrated my new size, but then the holidays hit.

After Christmas had passed I found myself up a mere 2 lbs since my last weigh in. Now most would say, "ahh no big deal just get back on track". Problem was I couldn't. I knew if I went to weigh in they would give me static about being up 2 lbs. I didn't want to hear it, I didn't want to disappoint them, I felt embarassed that I had failed even a little bit. So... I told myself I would lose those 2 lbs real quick, and then go back. Soon those 2 lbs became 4lbs, then 6lb, then 10 lbs. By this time I was so embarassed about my utter failure to do this simple thing I just gave up. I resigned my self to being overweight for the rest of my life.

I have always been my own biggest critic about my weight, I use it to make jokes about myself and make other people laugh. I've actually caught myself saying, "But if I lose weight how can I tell my jokes." I'm currently 33 yrs old, one day when I was in one of these joking moods I made a comment to my wife, "You know you don't see a lot of 65 year old 300lb guys walking around do you?" Ever since then I think the realization hit that this was really somthing I needed to be concerned with.

Even with that realization, it STILL took me another six months to get started on my new LC WOL but so far so good. I've lost 14 lbs so far and have a LONG way to go, but the good Lord willing I'll get there. I still feel the frustration sometimes, I want this weight GONE, I know LC is not a quick loss plan, I know that's a good thing, but when you lose 12 lbs in the first two weeks it sure is frustrating to lose only 2lbs over the next two weeks.

Ahhh, thanks for starting this thread Terri. It helps to talk about it a bit, especially when those around you don't really understand what you are going through.